Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day whatever...

O.k., I know Shannon is doing a great job, but I feel like I need to chime in.

We are having a fabulous time (of course), but we're getting to the point where we don't have a clue where we are or what day it is! The weather is just starting to warm up, and I actually bought a hat today! Those of you who know me know that I DON'T do hats, so this is a big deal. The uv rays here are particularly dangerous, and all of the school children have mandatory hats in addition to school uniforms. "No hat, no play!"

We awoke in the capital city of Canberra this morning. So far it's pretty steril compared to the other places we've been. We'll have tomorrow to poke around until our flight leaves at 5 PM.
We've reached out weight limits for flying (actually we were over and had to do some fancy rearranging amongst our bags), so we're going to have to send some things home. People keep giving us books, so you can see how this would be a problem. Little Jonathan is going to have a nice little library by the time I get home!

Everyone has been so wonderful to us, and we feel like we are leaving good friends behind each time we go. It's intersting how similar the track to early literacy is between our countries, and it's been fun for me to just have to tweak some of my lyrics to make a song fit the culture. For example, I have a song that has "penny" in it, and the smallest coin here is 5 cents. They don't actually have a name for the coins, like "nickel." But they do have very cool animals on the coins, so I've changed the song lyric to "platypus." How fun is that?

We have settled into a nice routine with our workshops, and could probably present for each other in our sleep at this point!

Shannon's reporting on chocolate bars in her blog, so I feel I should say a word about the coffee... THANK YOU Starbucks for making the Via instant! I brought a box of 12, and I've begun rationing myself! It is WONDERUL and has saved me as we have only had time to make coffee in the rooms. Purchased coffee is made with "full milk cream," which really is cream WOW! I've been forced to use that in my coffee. Oh well--- if I must!

I finally purchased my first coffee today, and it was quite good ( of course, made with full cream!).

Well, I guess that's it for now. We hear there are kangaroos hopping around in the wild here, so hope to see some later today!

That's it for now!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about when you get home. Jonathan still isn't walking but he's waving to anyone and everyone that walks through a door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Now you can just teach him to say, "G'day mate!" and he'll be set!

    ReplyDelete